Angelos Varvarousis is an urban planner and researcher currently working at the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (ICTA-UAB). Angelos holds a bachelor in civil engineering, a Masters in architectural technology and another Masters in Urban Planning. He is currently undertaking research on the topics of Degrowth, Commons, Solidarity Economy, Alternative Lifestyles and Island Studies. Angelos has been member of R&D since 2013 and he has presented his work at the International Degrowth Conferences of Venice, Leipzig and Budapest. He is also a part of the Support Group for the organization of the International Conferences on Degrowth and was a co-organizer of the Summer School on Degrowth in 2014 at ICTA-UAB. He has been granted a full Scholarship from the Greek State in 2012. He is the coordinator of SINALECO project which is funded by the Spanish Government and studies Alternative Ecological Economies in Greece, Spain and in a series of other countries of the European South. He has also worked as an expert of Social Economy for non-academic organizations like the British Council and the Greek Ministry of Labour. Angelos, in collaboration with Prof. Giorgos Kallis has finished two major surveys across Greece in 2016-17, mapping and analyzing both individuals and entities of the so called “New Commons Movement”. He has also worked as a tutor and collaborator of the Alpen Adria University in Vienna for this research project and Summer University SUSAKI for promoting sustainable development on the Greek Island of Samothraki. He currently lives on Lesvos Island in Greece.
Publications (Both Academic and Non-Academic):
- Varvarousis, A. & Kallis, G., 2017. Commoning against the crisis. In: Manuel Castells et al. (eds). Another Economy Is Possible. Culture and Economy in a Time of Crisis. Cambridge. Polity Press
- Varvarousis, A., 2016. Solidarity Economy. In D’alisa, G., Kallis, G., Demaria, F., eds. Degrowth: A Vocabulary for a New Era. Athens, Ekdoseis ton sinadelfon
- Varvarousis, A., Petridis, P., 2016. Local initiatives and their chances to drive socio-ecological change. Social cooperatives on the Greek island of Samothraki. In Sustainable Mediterranean, Special Issue No 73
- Varvarousis, A., Petridis, P., 2015. Transformation or replication? Article published in Resilience.org and Degrowth.de
- Varvarousis, A., Claudio, C., Fernandes, L., 2014. Degrowth im Europa der Krise. Interview for OYA magazine to Sommer Felicitas.
Conference Papers and presentations:
- Varvarousis, A., “Commoning against the crisis”. Entitle Conference Undisciplined Environments” , Stockholm, 19-23 March, 2016
- Varvarousis, A., “The challenges of Urban Commoning”, GROWL Erasmus Program, Thessaloniki, 10 October 2014
- Varvarousis, A., “Liminal Commons”, Lecture at the Workshop “the political ecology of the commons” SOAS University, London, 27 January, 2016
- Varvarousis, A., “Re-imaging cities Beyond Growth”, Lecture at the post-graduate program of Urban and Regional planning at the National Technical University of Athens, 30 March 2016
- Varvarousis, A., “Understanding Commoning. Liminal commons in a Greek Island”, Seminar Lecture at ICTA of Autonomous University of Barcelona, 17 June 2014
- Varvarousis, A, “Utopias in Movement”. Presentation at the International Symposium “Utopia 500” Delphi 11-16 April 2016
- Varvarousis, A., “Democracy, Degrowth and Utopias in Movement”, International Conference of Ecological Economics, Leeds, June-July 2015
- Varvarousis, A., “Approaching self-sufficiency. Dispatches From Greece”, 4th International Degrowth Conference, Leipzig September 2014
- Varvarousis, A., “Liminality and the Commons”, 5th International Degrowth Conference, Budapest, September 2016
- Varvarousis, A., “Commons and Degrowth. Two complementary concepts for a New Era”. 4th Summer School on Degrowth and Environmental Justice. Barcelona July 2017
- Varvarousis, A., “The Eco-community Movement in Greece”. 3rd International Degrowth Conference on Degrowth. Venice 2012
- Varvarousis, A., “Crisis, Commons and Liminality”. AAG annual meeting Boston April 2017
- Varvarousis, A., “Commoning practices in the Greek Archipelago”. International Conference of Island Studies, Lesvos May 2016.